Saturday, December 9, 2023

 Gimikwenden ina?

 Do you remember

that even smashed it's reassembled.

Someone bring the glue.

You, too, glue yourself together.


__________________________

 

“The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story.”
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie 
 
 
___________________________
 
 
I showed you the word.
You said 
It's just a word. 
Words don't mean anything.
 
Have you no respect for the letters, one following another, that have to hold so much?
 
Gimikwended ina?
 
I took the tablets I made to commemorate
 
minobimaadizin
 
and struck them down. 

What right have I to that word?
 
It rarely snows here,
so my tears will have to fall like rain.
My tears here are equally cold, but without their white-starred complexity.
I simply weep here, a salty sea
for every one and thing suffering everywhere.
 
 
 ________________________________________
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I don't want to be your relative, family of man, 
said the sheep.
You are a family full of murderous intentions, arrogant and ungrateful.
 
Leave us be, 
said the clouds.
We aren't interested in your revelatory self-reflections.
 
Calma, calma,
said the far-off stars.
They are each briefly bright before they dim to nothingness.