Thursday, September 28, 2023

pineapple dream

In the dream
the pineapple's crown
fills the largest pot I have.
Parts of it
are grey,
look swollen 
like orchid pseudobulbs.

With my hands,
I choose to separate
a small section from the rest.
Even compressed,
this piece has grown leaves 
into a full circle of bright green
 
It's not easy to remove.
The plant part resists,
holding on to home,
the only one it's known.
I dig my fingers
into the ground around it, 
prising,
feeling for the right place to lift.
I shift position, feel
small spaces opening
pull it gently free.
 
In the dream,
when it lifts
the larger plant shifts quickly 
to fill the hole. 
 

I upend the new division, crown down,
and see the roots
nested in bright fruit,
yellow and sweet.
 
Oh, I think,
this pineapple
got it upside down. 
fruiting young,
around roots not air.