Saturday, October 12, 2024

fox dream ( an sionnach)

 



Morning dreams during second sleep often seem prophetic

 

I slowly waking up in a bedroom of a cottage  in Ireland. The bedroom occupies most of the upper floor. A short hallway and stairs lie on the other side of the closed door. The bedroom is  furnished as a study, with a large, simple writing desk in the middle. A Chippendale-style sofa  lies under a small, high window. My large, comfortable bed and an old skirted chair bookcase french doors to a balcony.

Laying in bed, I see scat under the writing table.  A small furry creature darts from under the bed. I think it's coloring similar to an American raccoon or a Japanese tanuki, but it is something else entirely. I seems very young and far too small to have produced the scat I see.

It looks at me terrified, and darts under the skirted chair.

Something else rustles under the bed. A small fox kit, grey, gambles out, glancing up at me at me with more curiosity than fear in her eyes. I'm not surprised as she trots unsteadily to the skirted chair and joins her friend (I feel she is female, as well as the other, they are friends, not siblings) underneath.

There's more scat now, a larger pile, and fresher.  I look down on a sleek deep grey animal standing beside the bed.  She turns and walks deliberately toward the closed door, then crosses the room to the french doors. She sit in front of the doors and stares at me.  This fox exudes power and protection. I feel she wants out of my bedroom, and will take the two kits with her. She walks toward me, eyes locked to mine. I feel no fear. I rise to open all the doors into and out of the room.

The dream ends. 



When a gray Fox appears in the dreamscape, you have something hidden within that you keep safe from everyone around you.

gray fox 

“The fox never found a better messenger than himself.” – Irish Proverb 

Wild_fox_koan

In Celtic folklore, the fox is often depicted as a trickster figure, outwitting other animals and humans alike. This association with cleverness and trickery makes the fox a powerful symbol of the ability to navigate one's way through difficult situations and come out victorious

fox-irish-folklore 

an sionnach  (Munster - shun ukh )( Ulster - shull na)  the  fox

madra rua  ma dra rua  red dog

Shamhlaigh mé sionnach liath   sow leeg may shull na lee ah  I dreamed of a gray fox