Friday, July 28, 2023

A small roof garden is enough

watching for one person.

Plants warn wilt or rot

not enough, too much,

slip away even in a night,

grow bounds.

Leaves are eaten

in hours.

Spiders,

bees,

these up here

feed with urgency.

Pots and troughs

slough off or sprout seeds.

This year they've gifted a cala, tomato, celosia, 

but stunned snapdragons

into dormancy.

My garden's timeline is not mine.

Agapanthus is slow, at least more two years to go.

Trees and grasses assume independence,

fade and bloom when they want,

though I feed and water them.

I watch  adventitious wanderers,

airborne, refugees

from damp,

and dry succulents swell, rejoice, spill over.

I am lessoned on too little and so much, 

given daily reminders 

of want and adjustment, 

sufficiency,

dependence.

 


Eight stories up, 

green stories told,

I listen, I learn,

and grow old.