Saturday, May 6, 2023

life poem 14 - a postcard

 I left my body at eight. It's taken a lifetime to return to it. Yesterday, I photographed the last flower of Covid.

 

I witnessed a stranger die from his own anger on a Seoul street. Shielding the eyes of a child from the body, his pregnant mother asked me to check the man's face, to make sure it wasn't her husband.

his father, our father, not in heaven but on earth

even an angry man's had birth 

more than a single moment here

 

" queen of heaven, star of the sea, pray for the children, pray for me"

 

qual é um bom remédio para um pesadelo?
os céus, o mar, a terra debaixo de mim?

Eu uso uma braçadeira que diz fica aqui
até ires para lá.

 

what is a good remedy for a nightmare?
the heavens, the sea, the earth beneath me?

I wear  an armband that says stay here
until you go there.

 

The sound around my arms is woolly

I top terrace plants with black soil

you lost your mother

to heaven, if you believe it, 

but surely earth

another conundrum? no

we make up things as we go

hope to show

how we are connected

to trout lilies and an oriole


I save appleseeds

and memories

I cannot save much else

on a daily basis, that is

prayers are always there

like cement shoes I put on

to stay aground