Monday, July 8, 2019

today's
walk
began
at
seven
when
the back alley cat
that I saw
stalking
killed a large rat.
This tiny calico, with
its great grey prey
slipped
quick
up the hill
as I wandered to
the riverside.
Finding a single lily, fire-flecked
drew me to
a few
false indigo in bloom,
while four
young ducks nodded
in the dark water
as a boat's wake shook them.
Then I took the wood path
headed
for the footbridge
its floor boro
sashiko stitched
pitched in
a slight sweep
where underneath ashore
three men fished
loosened lines, slipped creels
into currents
for their
gap-mouthed
catch.
Afterward,
I took the stairs up
the bluff and
some streets away
spoke
with
a man named Gary
who showed me
his garden folly
in green perspective
before I left
and met
a teacher
a dog
a soused lout outside
the grocery store.
All this
before I slipped
a peek inside
my own garden
where
rusting bells told
the hour
and time turned
the walk
around
toward
dusk
and home.