Friday, July 15, 2022

hungry ghosts

I pass

ninety days

in an ango,

enclosed

within my rainy season's soul

as hydrangea open blue cold in the heat.

Then again

I spend nine hours,

a novena,

reciting 

Maria plena

to understand kindness.

It's the dry season now,

in Japan and Portugal,

full of fires

and pilgrimage.

Later, in autumn, I may ask to join Segaki

or an All Souls feast.

Offering food,

I understand ghosts want to see me eat, meet me in my body,

observe, regret, rant.

Afterward, ghosts retreat.

I try to step back, but can't.

I remember the cold blue blooms in rain- soaked June,

Too soon they dry and die.

During my novena

I pick milkweed bursting like stars for the dead

as

Molded sugar bones melt into early clouds of snow.

The ghosts met here will come again, or send others,

when another season turns.

No matter how much I pray,  

the dead never stay away,

remain hungry.