Wednesday, February 19, 2020

My Zone of Cognitive Function (Aging)

1
Cognitive functioning is influenced by our genetic background and age.

I know a little about my genetic background.

For instance, I know that my grandfather's build and looks differed quite dramatically from my father's. My mother also looked quite different than her parents.

Everyone died.

I took 2 DNA tests. I am haplogroup H maternally. I am most likely of European descent, but began with an unknown 50% and have watched origin percentages flutter all around Asia, the Middle East, the Meditteranean, the north of Europe.

I am 62. Is 62 the new 52, or is it now 42, or is it simply, and always, 62?

My mother, as she lay dying, said she was surprised at how mismatched her inner self was to her outer self. It's as if, she said, the inside me forgot to grow old.

2
Our lifestyle determines whether we function in the upper or lower portion of our zone.

I practice prayers, languages, drawing. When I read, I seek mirrors and lakes to reflect words and images.  My memory was a pool that has turned into a sea.

The time-shortened horizon I see, yet it still seems leagues away from me.

3
Plaques and tangles are present, but the cognitively engaged don't show signs of Alzheimer's.

What is my reserve task capacity, my big-brained engagement, my tolerance level of age infiltration?

I am in love with life, from seed to stone.  Have studies shown love thickens cortexes, lessens plaque, untangles?

I will try to stay alive, he said, but cannot guarantee I'll be here the next time you visit me.