Monday, April 15, 2013

my netsuke


ideally
1
one of Eileen Myles
hunched over a barren
Icelandic blueberry bush,
she waterlogged, impatient

2
the keel and ribs of a sunken ship off Norway

3
a northern Stone Age dugout canoe

4
and an ancient Kuwaiti reed boat

5
I'd carefully place the one of a woman trying to put in her contacts in my hand
feel the rightness of her fight with lenses

6
this one is a periwinkle unsure of its gender

7
and this a sea worm with a hole used as mouth and anus

8
here's a starving seal pup

9
and burly armed man holding his dead daughter

10
Kim Jong-un with that ridiculous haircut in lotus position, pouting

11
I'd like one of a pawpaw ripe and split

12
and another of staghorn sumac

13
a rattler sleeping under oak leaves

14
and a muskelunge encircled by a stream of alewives

15
I'd like one of deer teeth and field stones

16
of a fossil trilobite and a mealy bug

17
I'd like one of Jonathan Winters doing anything

18
and my father's dead hands holding a pine sprig
as he was when we buried him all those years ago

19
carved in quince, 2 wrestling
Danish children in snowsuits

20
a Korean mudong in an ajama pantsuit
and horsehair hat balanced on her knives

21
a Salvadorean curandera blowing out
evil spittle

22
a Sicilian stregheria curing a child's worms

23
did I mention a deer mouse with a kernel of corn?

24
an otter in kelp?

25
a flying fox with its wing around a tiny brown bat
who has the sniffles?

26
I want an ivory of a one-breasted cancer survivor
topless and defiant, beautiful

27
and another  ivory of my my husband"s
hairless body, strong and cancered, in truce

28
i'd like one of my cat Simon
turning round to look at me as he died

29
and one of tsunami detritus

30
a shelled Syrian apartment building

31
an Inuit snowmobile sinking into melting permafrost

and

32
an old paperback without a cover

33
a child with an iPhone

34
a chihuahua in a coat chasing its tail

35
Curious George
with President George
which one as yet undecided